Book review: The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

The Cuckoo's Calling



The blurb.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

My opinion.
The story started out slow. But a good slow, if that makes any sense. You really have the chance to follow Strike's thinking process, and although he gets there faster than you do, you still got to think, guess and accuse without the story running ahead of you. I don't have much experience with detective novels, but I'm guessing this is a good thing. It was for me. The last 100 or so pages were absolutely thrilling. Very exiting and unexpected, until the very end.
I did not really know what to make of Strike at the beginning, but I liked him, in all his strange ways. I liked how he treated his "secretary" and enjoyed their strange, but interesting relationship.
As I said, I normally don't read a lot of crime fiction/ detective novels/ however you want to call it, but "Robert Galbraith" might just have introduced me to a "new" genre.
And as always... I'm excited for more!

Comments

Popular Posts