Book review: Blue Monday - Nicci French

Blue Monday





The blurb.

Monday, the lowest point of the week. A day of dark impulses. A day to snatch a child from the streets ...

The abduction of five-year-old Matthew Farraday provokes a national outcry and a desperate police hunt. And when a picture of his face is splashed over the newspapers, psychotherapist Frieda Klein is left troubled: one of her patients has been relating dreams in which he has a hunger for a child. A child he can describe in perfect detail, a child the spitting image of Matthew.

Detective Chief Inspector Karlsson doesn't take Frieda's concerns seriously until a link emerges with an unsolved child abduction twenty years ago and he summons Frieda to interview the victim's sister, hoping she can stir hidden memories. Before long, Frieda is at the center of the race to track the kidnapper.

But her race isn't physical. She must chase down the darkest paths of a psychopath's mind to find the answers to Matthew Farraday's whereabouts.
And sometimes the mind is the deadliest place to lose yourself.


My opinion.
I'm ashamed to admit that this is my first Nicci French novel. But since I'm trying all kinds of different genres lately, I felt that Nicci French finally had to be on the "to read list", and haven't regret doing that. This is a difficult review to write without giving away any (or too many) spoilers. I'll just start by saying I loved reading this book. It was exciting, insightful, thrilling,... 
The blurb gives some information that makes you think you're ahead of everyone else, the police, Frieda,.. But it doesn't turn out to be that easy and straight forward. Until the very last page, the story kept surprising me and made me gasp. It will hunt me for a while, but I don't think I mind too much.
I'm definitely planning on reading the rest of the Frieda Klein series, she's a very interesting heroine and an intriguing character, and I feel there's a lot more to know about her, and I'm really excited about that.


Comments

Popular Posts